Just as two “blood pressure medications” may vary in mechanism, efficacy, dose, and adverse effects, two platelet rich plasma (PRP) or stem cell (bone marrow concentrate = BMC) procedures may be drastically different in their make-up, dosage, and post-injection rehabilitation. Consequently outcomes will also vary widely! Furthermore, every condition and patient requires a unique, customized centrifugation and concentration process. These process and technique variabilities are a few of the factors responsible for our excellent outcomes.
- Platelet and Growth Factor Concentrations: Different centrifuge and kits systems produce platelet concentrations that vary from as much as twice the blood level to up to 30 times that found in blood, and the same goes for precious growth factors. While not everybody needs a “super concentrated” PRP with 30 times the blood level of platelets, kits that concentrate platelets and growth factors to only two or three fold are far less effective, although much cheaper for the physician. In the Apex Regenerative program, we only use the highest-quality centrifugation systems and customize your growth factor and platelet levels to your specific condition.
- White blood cell concentration: Because leukocytes are helpful in the treatment of tendonopathies and tendon tears, “leukocyte-rich” PRP is utilized. In contrast, leukocytes may actually lead to cartilage degradation, and therefore “leukocyte-poor” PRP is exclusively used for intra-articular conditions.
- Bone Marrow Aspiration Technique: There are many ways to cut corners during stem cell procedures. Recent studies from Europe have shown higher stem cell concentrations with a technique that involves multiple small aspirations from different locations along the pelvis. This technique takes more of your physician’s time but is still with only minimal discomfort and yields higher stem cell concentrations and superior outcomes!
- Accuracy: Precise injection with ultrasound-guidance is essential for these procedures. Without it, accuracy probabilities are as low as 25%! Advanced training, experience involving thousands of US-guided procedures, and RMSK certification in ultrasound ensure that your Apex Regenerative procedure is precise and as pain-free as possible.
- Post-procedural Rehabilitation: Strength, joint off-loading, and improved blood flow are best achieved through rehabilitation, ideally with a skilled physical therapist. Each condition and procedure will have a unique, customized pre and post-procedural rehabilitation protocol, communicated with your physical therapist.